Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Day #6 & #7, well some of it.






We had a good night's sleep, nice hotel. King size bed, flat screen TV and wireless.


I am up early as I woke up worried I won't find anything to eat in WY or MT. So we stopped in Fort Collins, CO at whole foods and stocked up on stuff. Gluten Free Jalapeno cheddar dip, Gluten Free Bagels, and guacamole, and GF BBQ chips, apples, oranges, and water. You know the essentials.


Then we drove to Buffalo, WY. from northern CO. Southern WY is mostly pretty flat with these funny looking mountains (flat on top, eroded) & super dry. The grass is a pretty tan color that goes great with all the big blue sky. Man is there a lot of big blue sky. I don't think I have ever seen so much at once.


The further we drove north, the less people we saw. We saw loads of cows, horses, & deer all day long. This reminded me that day before yesterday Near estes park we saw four huge rams, eating grass on the side of the road. They were so big and cool looking.


So the drive was pretty short, & easy. The asphalt is red in a number of places. I saw some pink sand so I am guessing they use the pink sand to make the red asphalt. It was really a pretty color.


About 2 hours from Buffalo, we saw a HUGE metal junk yard, in the middle of absolute nowhere. I am talking tractors, from the 30's & 40's, wagons, from the 1890's (with really amazing weathered wood holding it together), trucks, cars, bicycles, farm equipment, train cars, and anything else that is metal that you can imagine. So everything is just out in the open and weathering naturally. I am pretty sure you could find every single color I have ever used in my work in this crazy junk yard. Meg photographed and I made some short videos of all the amazing type I found. Meg & I both agree that this junk yard would make the most amazing field trip teaching location for both a photography class and a graphic design class. Needless to say we both had a great time walking around this place. It was about 6 acres, crammed packed.


So it's Tuesday morning, & I am up early, putting the coffee on and writing this post. I have been writing my blog posts in a green spiral notebook (old school) with a pencil everyday, as we make our drive. We have only had the internet two nights out of seven & it's a lovely break from being so connected.


We are in Sherian, WY this morning at a coffee shop, planning the day. We wanted to drive to drive west all day, through the mountains & spend the night on the edge of Yellowstone, but there is NO where to stay in Yellowstone, tonight. Totally booked. Oh well. So we are off to Bozeman, MT to spent the night, then to Yellowstone all day tomorrow. We have a room booked for West Yellowstone for tomorrow night. It looks amazing.


We have to be in Iowa City, around the 20th or so, because we are going to get legally married. The next place we have to be is South Bend, IN on the 22nd to get ready to work for a couple of days. Lucky for us, we are in no rush, which feels really great.


We will update the blog as soon as we have internet again. Have an awesome day folks!


No comments:

Post a Comment